Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Challenges


We all face challenges on a daily basis. How we view those challenges determines the difficulty we have in overcoming them. Some times we can take the simplest challenge and make it the most difficult. A short time ago I was sitting at the table with my morning coffee contemplating my days challenges. As it was going to be a very busy day I was already starting to feel overwhelmed.I turned to the sports page in the paper, my favorite place to start when I saw this picture: I was amazed and immediately thought WOW, now this kid must have some really tough challenges.

AS I read through the article I found that , Dustin Carter, is a high school senior and captain of the wrestling team. This particular picture was after a practice session where he is training for the upcoming state championship in his weight
class. Hi record as of the time of this picture was 34 and 1. I searched and found several videos on You Tube showing Dustin working out and one interview that made me extremely jealous. This young man can type 50 words a minute. I can not come close to that and I have ten good fingers.

The realizations is that challenges are a mind set. Determination goes a long way in how we tackle those bumps in the road. Sometimes we must seek help,but where do we find this help. That is an individuals choice. We can seek family, friends, teammates, spiritual, or even strangers. Depending on the challenge, sometimes talking with a person outside of your circle can be great, I have found in a social network today, the opportunity to talk with new people opens all kinds of new avenues of thought. Sometimes just chatting with someone new brings different ideas to the mind. I have met people that faced similar problems but found solutions I never thought of.

As I face the road ahead, I have found the bumps can be big or small, but they can be overcome. Now when things look overwhelming the first thing I do I glance at Dustin's picture which I have tacked to my wall, then I look for help to get my mind set right. Now it comes down to: Is the glass half full or half empty


7 comments:

Wavecritter said...

We Do Choose To Be Challenged...Or To NOT! :)

askGerhard-Kaiser said...

Hi Jim,
Thank`s for this clear blog about challenges.I think we all have found in our social network Friendswin, the opportunity to talk with new people opens all kinds of new avenues of thought.We all on my VMTeam make a completation together.
Gerhard Kaiser - Google me

Muddog357 said...

Just how we individually choose to see the challenge, as a challenge or something else

Unknown said...

If you put your mind to it, you can overcome any obstacle that may be thrown in your path.

John Raines said...

it is amazing what one can do with the right mindset in facing challenges thanks for reminding us we can win. john raines google me

Unknown said...

Hi Jim, You are a man after my own heart... I truly, truly enjoyed your Blog --- The Tennis Ball Story is a Classic - I had heard it a very long time ago --- but now today it rings just as true as ever.... You have given me an idea for a blog spot on a very interesting and 'thought provoking' email that I received some time ago>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway, I look foward to "Blogging With YA !!!

Miss Julia

Kurt Mitchell said...

"How we view those challenges determines the difficulty we have in overcoming them." great comments..we all have the same choices, we don't all take the same path do we?